Celebrating Change

Perhaps one of the hardest things in life is accepting change; while it is one of those things that we cannot do without. I always say, change is an animal so tough to tame. It could tear you from the ribs of feelings and moments that the hoped for future had planned for you, or introduce you to heavens joyous orgasms.

The world is full of surprises, of tulip beauty’s and ogre ugly. Yet each time it gives us its hand, we have to accept the good and the bad. I believe that everyone is a living story, unread book, a poem or a song waiting to be told and heard; so among the many gifts given to me by the creator is the power of the ear. We have adopted a new adaptive mechanism to survive; individualism. It is so sad that we have allowed ourselves to be cocooned in our little shells and close the doors to those around us.

They always say start with the bad and finish with the good, so I will. Just the other day I saw this young girl of around five, playing with running unprotected sewer! People just passed her as if they did not notice it. I remember those passed days when anyone who found you doing such a thing would discipline you and then report you to your parents who would add on to the discipline. I feel that times have changed see, I was born when the words please, thank you and May I still were valued. It was a time when children respected elders and gave them our seats when the bus was full, we knew what to say and what not to say in front of elders were around. I was taught to love people for who they are and not for what they have or what they can give me. Those were days for kind treatment to anyone who was human regardless whether you were rich or poor.

Richard M Deves said that a few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push; a smile, a world of optimism ad hope and the words “you can do it when things are tough”. I have been so lucky if luck ever exists to meet great men and women on my path. As I accept the changes life throws at me; I had to write this for those men and women who have made me what I am today. I can proudly say I have changed for the better.

I wish to especially thank Dr. Klaus Hornetz for his tireless efforts in pushing me to compile my poems; thanks to him I discovered my path and found myself as a poet. It was from this cause that I revisited my past poems and experienced passed moments, memories and all that they brought, I also had time to categorize my poems which made me see my writing not just like a writer but as a reader. I never thought that I would learn from my own poetry but I did, I discovered that indeed I can write, I can teach and that I can move people into action. Most importantly I discovered my weaknesses as a writer and a spoken word performer hence I started working at this. It is again from this project that I decided to do a show of my works. I picked several pieces that I felt were strong enough and have been working on them.
Klaus, if you ever read this blog know that you are strength and selflessness personified. Thank you.

My journey has also been blessed by many friends, fans and artists. People who have walked up to me just to tell me that they were moved by what I did. I had people walk up to me and ask me to teach them the art of words, poetry. All these people have filled me with purpose and the thought that someone out there believes in me has pushed me to where I am today. Thank you all.

In the limelight of change, I decided to change the appearance of my blog, not because of anything specific but I just felt that I should.

© Namatsi Lukoye

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disrupt - Who am I

Love Is Not A Fight by Warren Barfield

Tick Tock Tick Tock